An interactive journey to the heart of Sheffield’s east end.
Download our app to your smartphone and head east along the towpath of the Sheffield and Tinsley Canal. As you walk, your location will trigger innovative audio and video content about the area you’re in.
The trail is the result of a collaboration between contemporary theatre production company The Blue Shed, Sheffield Theatres, and the University of Sheffield RECITE network. Drawn from historical research, it uses local voices to tell stories about the city’s east end, via your phone or mp3 player.
The digital trail is three miles long, from Victoria Quays in the city centre to Tinsley Locks. It’s open to anyone with access to a GPS/3G enabled smartphone (Android/iPhone) or mp3 player.
Download the FREE app or mp3 files from www.theportofsheffield.co.uk.
During Festival of the Mind, the Port of Sheffield team will be down at the Victoria Quays Terminal Warehouse cafe – on board the narrow boat Lena – to help get you started.
Update: due to the rain, staff won’t be around on Monday 24 September to get you started. We will be back there from Tuesday to Sunday.
Advice for this trail
We’d recommend following some simple guidelines so you can enjoy your walking trail safely:
- Make sure children under 16 are accompanied by an adult and kept under supervision
- Be well prepared – bring water and snacks and wear appropriate footwear and clothing. The towpath may be muddy!
- Watch out for trip hazards during the walk
- Stay on the canal towpath and only use designated (signposted) exit points
- Take care when crossing the canal lock gates and passing anglers and other people
- Be aware of your surroundings when you’re wearing headphones or using your mobile phone
- Areas of the towpath are unlit, so we’d recommend taking the trail during daylight hours